Flowers update

ev003

As some of you might have seen on Twitter, after my previous blog post I was contacted by JAST, and I am now working on Flowers!

My job is to check the translation for accuracy and tone. There is another translator working with me, and we are both going through the entire script. There is also an editor, and multiple QA people involved. Obviously I can’t discuss everything, since there’s now an official contract and whatnot involved, but I’d like to keep fans updated on our progress as much as possible.

Yes, the script is kind of all over the place. No, it’s not unsalvageable. There are certain consistent issues cropping up, but it’s not as bad as I feared it would be. I mostly just get the sense that it was extremely rushed and that the translator didn’t have the game to work off, which is so important when it comes to visual novels.

That being said, any line that I think needs even a tiny bit of tweaking, I am retranslating, which means that there will be a lot of changes. We haven’t completely thrown the old script out, but working based off of it is less time consuming than working with just the original Japanese and doing a full from-scratch translation.

Speaking of time, now that the release has been delayed I do feel I’ve been given an adequate amount of time to work on this. We are definitely emphasizing quality over rushing it out to meet a deadline.

Unfortunately, I have no control over what they release and when. I don’t know when the new release date is scheduled for. I also don’t have contact with the programmer working on the technical side of things. So, while I am part of this new team, I am not privy to everything, and I am in no way in control of the project. However, If you have anything you would like me to pass on to the team, feel free to leave a comment here.

Thanks to everyone for the support I have received, and I hope that I can contribute to making a worthy localization for this beautiful visual novel.

5 thoughts on “Flowers update

  1. Thank you so much for your hard work.

    I’ve taken a look at the demo, and I’m glad that many of the mistranslations I’ve noticed in the first two versions have been fixed. I’ve noticed that some of the text that the previous translation had failed to include have been added as well. Rikka’s now the one suggesting fingerprints instead of Suoh (finally!) and Mayuri has stopped going hmph all the time (Phew! Can’t have one of my favourite characters be so unlikable!). The major issues I had with the original demo have mostly been addressed. There’s just a small number of typos, especially in the second half, but it’s nothing too problematic.

    I remain hopeful that the team will fix this, and look forward to its eventual release, no matter how long that may take. There’s Automne coming as well after all 😉

  2. Pingback: FLOWERS Update Update + Version 3 Demo | The Yuri Nation

  3. If you can pass a message on the to the team, tell them to use a better font. I am not certain if that’s what is in the font the game uses, but there are other Mincho fonts out there that have more elegant Latin letters in it. As it is a visual novel, the font and text is how the story is presented. As such having a terrible font, kind of mars the visual aspect of a novel. It’s something a company should care about and most don’t. (MangaGamer, Aksys Games..etc.)

  4. Yeah, as maverynthia said the font is very important especialy in innocent grey titles which are a works of art. Good Luck i hope JAST doesnt make me hate them with this game.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s